bolton hall
Church of St Peter & St Paul in Bolton-
Bolton Hall Estate
Bolton hall bolton by bowland
Bolton Hall was the home of the Pudsay family from the fourteenth century until the end of line in 1771. It was with Sir Ralph Pudsay with whom King Henry the 6th stayed after he lost the Battle of Hexham on the 15th May 1464. King Henry the 6th was a scholarly, pious King, who became a pawn in the Wars of the Roses (1455-1485).
Bolton hall bolton by bowland

Sir Ralph Pudsay had the other distinction of having twenty five children from his three wives. His memorial is in the parish church of St. Peter & St. Paul Bolton-by-Bowland. Sir Ralph Pudsay rebuilt & restored the church in the second half of the 15th century.

The Hall had many attractions such as a “Ghost Room”, a magnificent old Banqueting Hall, and the Harness room, in which there was a most unusual display of three Skeletons.

These were of a horse called Balloon Boy, a hound called Milton Spanker, and a Frenchman.

bb
Bolton hall bolton by bowland
Perhaps the heyday of the Hall came after 1866 when the Hall was bought by a rich coal mine owner. He kept a staff of almost a hundred & lived in style. He would open the grounds & parts of the house to the public on the long Saturday afternoons of summer when trips would come across the border from Lancashire (Bolton-by-Bowland used to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire) in horse-drawn Charabancs.
Bolton hall bolton by bowland
The gardens were magnificent, with extensive glass houses where Nectarines, Peaches, Grapes, Figs, & Bananas were grown; there was also an underground Palm house. The stables held over seventy horses & two coaches. After the First World War the Hall became too expensive to run. So unfortunately this bizarre, historic place was demolished in the 1950's. Before the demolition, they auctioned the contents. The most bizarre and macabre contents of the auction was 3 skeletons. One of a horse called 'Balloon Boy', the skeleton of a unknown man and a dog. They were kept in the harness room.
Bolton hall bolton by bowland
It was occupied for a while during World War Two, when German prisoners of war built a Chapel there.
Bolton hall bolton by bowland
The site of the old Hall and grounds are now called King Henry’s Mews. These are now private & not open to the Public, although King Henrys Well and grounds can be seen from the public footpath highlighted on the estate map. The residents of the estate would like to thank any visitors in advance in respecting their privacy and remaining on the public footpath.