|Church of St Peter & St Paul in Bolton-|
History of Bolton-by-Bowland
|bolton by bowland|
We are grateful to Mike Hammond and the late Keith Brunskill who have researched and written the text here and to Mike for his historic photographs. We would love to show more historic pictures of our village if they are available.
|bolton by bowland|
Keith Brunskill wrote: the village was recorded as Bodeton in the Domesday Book, meaning bow in the river. The first part of the Church was built before 1190, and the local landowners, the Pudsays, supervised the improvements and extensions to the church in the 13th, 14th, 15th and early 16th centuries. In the church is the tomb of the 15th-century landowner, Sir Ralph Pudsey. Sir Ralph had three wives who between them produced 25 children, all are commemorated within the church. In the year 1464, Sir Ralph took the risk of hiding the Lancastrian King Henry VI, who was fleeing from his Yorkshire enemies after the defeat at the Battle of Hexham. King Henry's Well is located a few yards from where Bolton Hall used to stand.
A previous Rector, John Winder M.A., has written a book about the village and its history, called 'Pudsays and Parsons' and it available from the Church for around £2.50p
Mike Hammond writes:
Sir Ralph Pudsay had the other distinction of having twenty five children from his three wives. His memorial is in the parish church of St. Peter & St. Paul Bolton-by-Bowland. Sir Ralph Pudsay rebuilt & restored the church in the second half of the 15th century.
Perhaps the heyday of the Hall came after 1866 when the Hall was bought by a rich coal mine owner. He kept a staff of almost a hundred & lived in style. He would open the grounds & parts of the house to the public on the long Saturday afternoons of summer when trips would come across the border from Lancashire (Bolton-by-Bowland used to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire) in horse-drawn Charabancs.
The Hall had many attractions such as a “Ghost Room”, a magnificent old Banqueting Hall, and the Harness room, in which there was a most unusual display of three Skeletons. These were of a horse called Balloon Boy, a hound called Milton Spanker, and a Frenchman.
The gardens were magnificent, with extensive glass houses where Nectarines, Peaches, Grapes, Figs, & Bananas were grown; there was also an underground Palm house. The stables held over seventy horses & two coaches. After the First World War the Hall became too expensive to run. So unfortunately this bizarre, historic place was demolished in the 1950's. Before the demolition, they auctioned the contents. The most bizarre and macabre contents of the auction was 3 skeletons. One of a horse called 'Balloon Boy', the skeleton of a unknown man and a dog. They were kept in the harness room.
Bolton-by-Bowland Story Page
Individual Record of Ralph Pudsay (AFN: 9T6D-40)
Ralph Pudsay Birth: about 1405 Place: Of, Barforth, Yorkshire, England
Mother: Margaret Eure was born about 1380 in Of, Barforth. She died before 2 Jan 1443/1444 in Beverly.
Spouse: Margaret Tunstall. Marriage: about 1432 Place: Scargill, Yorkshire. Children 6.
Spouse: Edwina Mrs Pudsay. Marriage: about 1445 Place: Barforth. Children 17.
Thomas Pudsay was born about 1406
John Pudsay was born about 1408 in Of, Barforth, Yorkshire. He died 1421.
Alice Pudsay was born about 1410 in Of, Barforth. She died 1444.
Clementia Pudsay was born about 1412 & died 1454, married John Knockley about 1438.
William Pudsay born about 1414 in Of, Barforth died 1499. Married Elizabeth Aske about 1444.
Mike Hammond 15-September 2004
The Coach & Horses
Canon David Mewis advises, for those searching for old records of relatives or friends: The Church holds Baptism records after 1856 Marriage records after 1837 and Burials from 1880. All previous records are held at the Records Office in Preston. Shortly we are going to send further of our records there.